Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Here's all you need to know about acid attack victim Lakshmi Agarwal, the character Deepika Padukone plays in Chhapaak starring Vikrant Massey

Today, it got confirmed that Vikrant Massey will play the lead opposite Deepika Padukone in Meghna Gulzar's Chhapaak. The actress plays the role of Lakshmi Agarwal, the acid attack victim who has gone through a lot of hardships in her life. Speaking about the character, Deepika had said, "When I heard this story, I was deeply moved as it s not just one of violence but of strength and courage hope and victory. It made such an impact on me that personally and creatively, I needed to go beyond and so the decision to turn producer." Truly, Lakshmi has led a life of courage and bravery. We thought you should know more of her before you watch this film and here's her incredible story. (Also read: Deepika Padukone to pair up with Vikrant Massey in Meghna Gulzar's Chhapaak)

The attack

Lakshmi, 15, was walking to a bookstore where she was employed, when a man twice her age, threw acid on her. She avoided his advances towards her. The attack left her face completely disfigured. Speaking about her plight, Lakshmi chronicled in an interview to Indian Express, "After the attack, I was admitted to the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital and stayed there for nearly three months. There were no mirrors in the ward I was in. Every morning, the nurse would bring me a bowl of water to help me freshen up, and I would try to catch my reflection in that water. I would only see glimpses of a bandaged face. I used to have a scar on my nose before the attack; I would tell the doctor to remove that during the operation. When I first saw my face afterwards, I was devastated. I had no face to speak of. My eyes were misshapen."

The fight back

Such an attack can emotionally derail a person but Lakshmi wasn't one of them. While she was getting multiple surgeries, she championed the cause for banning the sale of acids in India. She even partly won the battle. She had filed a PIL against it in Supreme Court which ruled that minors will not be allowed to buy acid and will have to furnish I-card to buy it. Acid attack was even included as a separate offence under the Indian Penal Code by the passage of a Criminal (Amendment) Act, 2013. She was later awarded the US State Department s International Women of Courage Award in 2014.

Cupid strikes

In 2014, Lakshmi met Alok Dixit, a journalist and the founder of Stop Acid Attack campaign and fell in love. Rather than getting married, they decided to stay in a live-in arrangement. Explaining why she didn't want to get married, Lakshmi said, "We have decided to live together until we die. But we are challenging the society by not getting married. We don t want people to come to our wedding and comment on my looks. The looks of a bride are most important for people. So, we decided not to have any ceremony." Lakshmi started Chhanv Foundation, a non-profit along with her partner. She gave birth to a daughter in 2015.

The setback

Soon after their child was born, Lakshmi and Alok broke up. She hit rock bottom economically as she had to take care of her daughter as well. Dixit claimed he has no money to raise his child. But thankfully for Lakshmi, help poured in when her plight became known to everyone. Now she is getting a film made on her life as well.

Lakshmi's life is a story of grit, determination and courage which is making us root for it a lot.


by via Bollywood News and Gossip | Bollywood Movie Reviews, Songs and Videos | Bollywood Actress and Actors Updates | Bollywoodlife.com

No comments: